• Author
    Bayley
    Participant

I am not getting married myself but I am helping my sister decide on a location. She will be getting married in July. My soon to be brother in law wants her to pick where they will be wed but I can tell she is stressing out over the pressure so I am stepping in to help.

I was reading about different wedding styles, themes, and traditions. I didn’t see much on the traditions of a Dominican wedding. Does anyone know what the staple traditions are?

Amber Mitchell
    Participant

Are we talking deep-rooted traditions? I only know a few myself.

I know it is traditional for the bride to have a small party. Usually just a flower girl, ring bearer and maybe 1 or 2 close women. They are not like how we tend to see over here. Most weddings seem to have 6+ bridesmaids alone. They also tend to do mini deserts over the traditional “wedding cake”.

Kathy
    Participant

They also tend to be more spiritual and/or religious. I know there is a really beautiful place that is considered holy there where people can get married. I will have to find it again. It was a place suggested to me on another site since my future husband and I are Christians.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by  Kathy.
    Bayley
    Participant

Oh wow, I had no idea about the smaller gatherings. This wedding will likely be about 100 guests. I will have to make sure whichever one my sister decided, they can accommodate a larger party.

I like the sound of individual desserts. I think that sounds better than one single cake. It isn’t up to me of course but I have a feeling my sister will want to keep some of the traditions they hold out there.

Sara D.
    Participant

Most who wed here will bring their own traditions and add in a few customs and traditions of the national people. I can’t say what everything is but you will get an idea when booking your wedding. There are specialty desserts, cakes, flowers, and times of celebration.

Taminna
    Participant

From what I have seen and read up on, plenty of people who are local or fly in to be wed there will celebrate their wedding with the bride and groom performing the Merengue dance. It is a couple’s Latin dance.

Bayley
    Participant

I heard of the dance and I am going to look into what that is!

I guess that is true as well. You won’t really know everything until you pick the resort and see what they have to offer.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest