The Best Man and the Maid of Honor are two of the most important roles in the wedding party… Aside from the bride and groom, of course. Why, you ask? Being asked to be the Maid of Honor or the Best Man shows that the bride or groom value your relationship and have complete faith in your ability to fulfill these important roles.
So, what exactly goes into being the Maid of Honor or the Best Man? Well, it’s a lot more than standing next to the bride and groom during the ceremony. If you are like many people and are unclear on the roles, then read on!
Maid of Honor’s Responsibilities on your Wedding Day
The history of the Maid of Honor dates to ancient Roman times when the bride would travel to her groom’s hometown (kind of like a destination wedding). But it wasn’t safe to travel… The bride ran a risk of being abducted or robbed of her jewelry.
The Maid of Honor was also in charge of helping the bride prepare for the wedding by helping her dress and making wreaths to ward off evil spirits.
To prevent this, the bride’s friends would dress up in clothes like the bride so that it would be more difficult to find the right woman. This was also done to ward off evil spirits who might try and harm the bride.
The idea of the bride, bridesmaids, and Maid of Honor all wearing the same thing is an unusual one to those of us from the 21st century… Today, the bride is the only one who wears white because she wants to stand out from the crowd. My how times have changed!
The role of the Maid of Honor has changed dramatically over the years. Gone are the days when you needed to be a “decoy bride.” Now, you are the bride’s support system! So, what do you do specifically?
- Wedding Prep!
- It is your job to ensure that the bridesmaids are fully prepared and performing their bridesmaid’s duties. This can include helping to find and assign bridesmaid gowns, fittings, and planning the pre-wedding parties!
- As the Maid of Honor, you may also be tasked with more tedious activities such as preparing and mailing invitations.
- Dress Planning
- As a bridesmaid, your opinion will be crucial. You may very well be a deciding factor in what dresses are worn at your best friend’s wedding!
- Bonus Tip: As the Maid of Honor, you usually buy your own dress, shoes, and accessories.
- Pre-wedding fun!
- You are in charge of planning and conducting the bridal shower and bachelorette party. This can be as exciting as (or as tame as) you think the bride will enjoy. Just be sure to be as helpful as possible! And don’t book the bachelorette party the night before the wedding. No one wants to be hungover at their wedding.
- During the Ceremony
- You will be the one who holds the bride’s bouquet during the wedding ceremony! This is exciting because you get the best seat in the “house” – other than the groom of course.
As you can see, the Maid of Honor does many crucial things for the wedding. Saying “yes” to this role will likely be the easiest part of the task. However, the bride will be unbelievably grateful to you for the rest of your lives!
Best Man’s Responsibilities on Your Wedding Day
Perhaps one of the most exciting aspects of wedding history is the tale of the groomsmen and the Best Man!
Traditionally, a Best Man could have been seen as an accessory to abduction. No, we’re not joking. The Best Man was a friend of the groom who was strong in a combat setting. He would help the groom fetch the bride and would help defend the couple from relatives or any other jealous suitors! This makes the role of the best man both honorable and exciting!
Though (in most cases) the Best Man will not need to go into combat, protecting the bride and groom from ill-wishers, he still has some important duties to perform.
- It is the Best Man’s job to ensure that the ushers understand their roles and are doing everything they can to make the wedding day run smoother. They’ll help coordinate timing before, during, and after the ceremony. And probably most importantly, they’ll make sure none of the groomsmen get too drunk before the ceremony begins.
- The Wedding Band
- It is the privilege of the Best Man to care for the wedding bands before the wedding. No pressure!
- The Best Man is also in charge of giving a heartwarming speech and toasting to the happiness of the newlyweds!
The role of the Maid of Honor and the Best Man are both very important and have evolved greatly over the years. There can be more to these roles, or less, depending on each wedding and each couple.
Maybe you’ll get lucky, and the bride will do everything herself. Or maybe you’ll be tasked with way more than is listed here. Your main goal is to support the couple, to be a good friend, and to do everything that is needed from you on the wedding day.