The day has arrived, you’re in your resort in Punta Cana running around like crazy, trying to figure out what to wear to your photo shoot. You want something flattering, appropriate for the hot weather, and you want to be color coordinated with your family (but not too “matchy matchy”). You’ve probably spent several minutes staring into a closet full of clothes while packing your bags, digging through drawers, and even considered buying a new outfit for the event to bring it to Punta Cana. Alas, nothing seems right! So, what do you wear? We have a few ideas! As professional photographers, we have seen it all, and we can tell you the do’s and don’ts of photoshoot fashion.
How to Dress for a Couple’s Beach Photoshoot
Keep the weather in mind.
- Is it going to be hot and bright? Let me answer that, yes. Then choose something made from a light fabric that breathes. Some popular choices include cotton, linen, rayon, and denim (think chambray shirt).
- Is it going to be cold (well, cold for the DR)? If your photo shoot is during sunrise or sunset then have a nice jacket or light sweater to pair with your outfit. It has been said that the Dominican Republic is a “land of endless summer”. Why? The average temperature is 77 degrees Fahrenheit. All. Year. Long. Sound like paradise? It sounds wonderful to us too.
- Don’t pick out an outfit that it isn’t compatible with the weather, and choose to suck it up and work through it. Your discomfort is going to be very obvious in your pictures. So, with that in mind, have an option in case of drastic weather change.
- Don’t wear clothes with Logos or noticeable brands. You will receive a lot of photos and you will see these logos over and over again so it’s best to choose plain outfits or patterns rather than branded clothes.
- Plan head! Have a backup outfit in case of accident or weather change. We’ve all been there, you’re in a rush, eating, drinking, or even just walking around and you touch something grimy without noticing, and then your clothes for the day are ruined. Having a second outfit can save you a lot of headaches, especially if you have children.
- Have outfits that are coordinated in some way. What does this mean? Wear clothes that go well together. Are you wearing a sundress? Then ask him to wear shorts with a nice beachy button down to go along with your tropical paradise theme! Aim for clothing that’s made from similar fabric, or that looks nice when you two stand together. It doesn’t have to be overly matchy, it just needs to mesh well. Also, don’t shy away from accessories like hats, jewelry or belts. They can really add texture and personality to a picture.
How to Dress for a Family Beach Photoshoot
Here are a few tips on how to dress for a photoshoot with children!
- Wear clothes that can hide stains such as patterns or darker colors. As anyone who has been around children knows, they can be pretty messy. It doesn’t matter how careful you are, those cute kids always seem to find a way. Patterns and darker colors are good for concealing stains!
- Have a second outfit. If you don’t want to wear dark clothes or clothing with patterns in your pictures, then have a second pair of clothes. A good idea could be to have the children arrive in a normal outfit and then change right before the shoot. If that sounds like too much work for you, then we encourage you to have a second outfit, that matches the colors you chose for your shoot, just in case there is an issue.
- Wear uncomfortable clothing. We know that children are more likely to be unhappy if their clothing is uncomfortable, so try and choose clothing that breathes well, has a pleasant texture, and fits well. We want you and your lovely children to be as happy as possible during the photoshoot!
- Color, pattern, or theme coordinate! When kids match, its super cute. If that isn’t your thing, then feel free to follow our advice in the couple section! Regardless of pattern or color preferences, the clothing theme should always be the same.
- Don’t wear characters on your clothing. We know that kids love Disney characters, and there is certainly a place to wear these shirts… but we encourage our clients to shy away from characters on clothing in photoshoots.
- Consider your home décor. After all, these photos will likely go on your wall, so you will want to make sure they will match the theme of the rest of your home.
- Classic pieces: We all have those photos from high school and college that we want to burn, or wipe from a hard drive… Keep in mind that these photos are meant to last you a lifetime, and hopefully for generations to come. Try and choose classic styles so you can feel good about your pictures for years to come.
Which colors work best for a Beach Photoshoot?
When it comes to choosing a color theme for the outfits we are not very strict since every color can work if matched appropriately, but the colors that we think work best with the environment are white, blue, khaki and bright colors that stand out such as red or coral.
Mixing patterns with plain clothes can also be a great idea, don’t be afraid to get creative and mix and match!
We hope you found our tips helpful! If you have any other questions, then feel free to contact us with questions! We would love to help in any way that we can.